I absolutely love meatloaf……weird I know. My husband on the other hand hates it, while I crave the stuff. I have never attempted to make meatloaf for him, but I thought I would give this recipe a try. He also refused to eat sloppy joes from a can until I made them from scratch and he loved them. So, what’s the worst that can happen? He won’t eat it and I’ll have to eat all the leftovers? 🙂
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (I subbed 1 cup whole wheat soft bread crumbs )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I only used 1 tablespoon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard (I used 1 teaspoon dried mustard)
- 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder (not in original recipe)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (not in original recipe)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats, and salt. (this is where I added the other ingredients). Add the ground beef, mixing well, and form this mixture into eight mini meatloaves. Place these in a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan (I used my muffin pan instead). In a seperate bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Stir throughly and spread over each meatloaf. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. I served these with steamed broccoli and garlic mashed potatoes.
Verdict: I thought the mini meatloaves were really good. I couldn’t get Eric to even try them, oh well!