This was a first for me, a vegetarian meal! I was flipping through my Pampered Chef cookbook It’s Good For You, and came across this recipe. I love black beans, so I thought it couldn’t be all that bad. The burger weighs in at 3 weight watcher points, whatever bun you use would be additional points. I even got my husband to try this recipe!
Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used onion powder)
- 1/3 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or parsley (I used dry parsley)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs (I used italian, it’s what I had on hand)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
Mash beans in classic batter bowl using nylon masher. Finely chop onion using food chopper. Add onion, corn, salsa, garlic, cilantro or parsley, salt, and pepper to beans; mix well. Form bean mixture into four round patties, abour 1/2 inch thick. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray pan with nonstick cooking spray; cook patties 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Place burgers on buns; serve with toppings if desired. I served these with sliced avocado.
Verdict: I really liked these, Eric said he didn’t care if I made them again (as he was eating two of them).