Our garden has started to produce, and I’m really excited! We helped my parents plant a big garden since we don’t have much of a yard. We have lettuce, spinach, asparagus, and new potatoes ready to harvest at the moment. I saw this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website and thought it would be perfect for the fresh asparagus and new potatoes I gathered from the garden this weekend. I thought this tasted excellent, but of course having such fresh ingredients on hand helps!
Lemony Asparagus & New Potatoes (Source: bhg.com)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears
- 16 whole tiny new potatoes, unpeeled and cut into quarters
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (I used 6)
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (I used 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I added salt to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced (not in original recipe)
- Snap off and discard woody bases from fresh asparagus. Cut into 2 inch pieces and set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, cook the potatoes, covered, in a small amount of lightly salted boiling water for 12 minutes. Add aspargus and cook covered for about four minutes or until crisp tender. Drain, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- For the dressing, combine the rest of the ingredients and drizzle over the vegetables, toss to coat. Serve warm.
Serves 8. Per serving: Calories 98, Fat 3g, Fiber 2g.