I have several herbs growing in containers in my backyard, and basil is one of them. I have basil coming out of my ears! I have started searching for basil recipes and found this one. It is so fresh and delicious! I served this over whole wheat penne pasta.
Fresh Basil Pesto (source: Simply Recipes)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts (I used pecans)
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
*Special note: I didn’t feel like dragging out my food processor, so I made this in my blender!