My mother in law made this recipe a few weeks ago and sent a portion home with me. I thought it was so good, I didn’t even share it with my husband. 🙂 I adapted this from a Martha Stewart recipe. The original recipe is for Apple Cranberry Crumble.
Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1 1/2 pounds apples, about 3 medium
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries coarsely chopped (I omitted)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped (I omitted)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats, not quick cooking
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Quarter apples lengthwise, then thinly slice. Toss in a large bowl with cranberries, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until evenly coated.
- Butter an 8 inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Mix pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until combined. Work in butter with your fingertips until topping is crumbly, with pea sized chunks.
- Spread apple mixture in prepared dish; sprinkle with topping. Bake until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.