Perhaps you are looking for a great way to cook your Thanksgiving turkey this year. If so, this may be the recipe for you! I bought 3 turkeys at the grocery store the other day because I couldn’t pass up the great deals. We have a deep freezer, but I couldn’t fit all 3 in there. This recipe was certainly easy, and the turkey was moist and delicious.
Easy Herb Roasted Turkey
- 1 (12 pound turkey)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground sage (I used savory)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Clean turkey (discard giblets and organs), and place in a roasting pan with a lid.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil with seasonings (I doubled all seasonings). Using a basting brush, apply the mixture to the outside of the uncooked turkey. Pour the water into the bottom of the roasting pan and cover.
- Bake for 3 – 3 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh measures 180 degrees. I suggest checking earlier than this. I checked mine at just under 3 hours and it was done. Remove bird from oven, and allow to stand for about 30 minutes before carving.
- I just wanted to add that the drippings from the turkey, combined with the olive oil and the water make excellent gravy!