I needed a dessert to take to a family get together and found this recipe online. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand to whip these up. The good thing about these cookies, is that they don’t use any butter. The bad thing is, they require shortening which is not exactly great for you (not that butter is). These are definitely not diet friendly. I sampled one and sent the rest out the door! I don’t know if this is actually Hillary’s recipe, but they were very good.
Hillary Clinton’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Brush baking sheets lightly with vegetable oil.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda on waxed paper.
- Beat together shortening, sugars and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in rolled oats and then chocolate chips.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or till golden. Cool cookies on sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.